Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Ryan Eyestone Interview


Ryan Eyestone is an illustrator extraordinaire and just an all around cool guy. Its evident that he puts 110% into all his works, wheter it be a t'shirt design or or a limited edition print. He has a distinct illustrative style and has done designs for the likes of Outbreak, The Carrier, The Homefront, Integrity, Detonate records, and more.


Frankie: So just to start us off, where did you grow up
and where is you home base now?

Eyestone: I grew up in Waterville and Skowhegan. Stuck there still.

Frankie: As a kid were you always drawing, and what did you mostly draw?

Eyestone: I’ve been drawing since I was a baby. I have some drawings I made when I was 1. I was always a big fan of monsters and ghosts when I first started out…I guess that wasn’t really a phase.

Frankie: I see that the undead play a role in your art but what are your other influences, what other artist do you look up to?

Eyestone: Well, to be fair, the undead definitely play a larger role in my commission work, as opposed to my personal projects. The kids these days love zombies, and they’re a lot of fun to draw, so it’s kind of a win-win situation with those.

As for artists I look up to, the list is pretty epic in proportion. Currently, I’m really digging Ashley Wood, James Jean, Arthur Rackham, Jon Dyer Baizley and Mike Mignola.


Frankie: What do you draw inspiration from? Does music play a role in this?

Eyestone: I draw inspiration from whatever things are going on in my life that I want to address, exorcise or make a comment on. Music has always had a gigantic role in my artwork. Either the turntable is spinning or the itunes are playing when I’m at work on a new piece.

Frankie: When did you start selling prints, while you were attending Umaine?

Eyestone: I started selling prints shortly after I graduated from Umaine. While I was there, I did a few commission jobs, but spent the majority of my time focusing on school and building up my portfolio. People had been asking about prints for a few years, so I decided to collect some of my favorites and make them available.

Frankie: How long have you been doing illustration work for other people?


Eyestone: My commission work began during my Sophmore year at Umaine, when I took on a job for Stand or Fall. I don’t know if their album I did the art for was ever released, but the experience was great, as I have a lot of good memories of that band, at that time.

Frankie: Do you get a good feeling by taking part in the music community, does it give you a better feeling of connection with the bands?

Eyestone: I love working for bands and people I can relate to. There is nothing better than doing artwork for a band that you absolutely love. I don’t know if it makes me feel closer to the bands, but it definietely feels like I’m contributing something legitimate to the same community that has given me some incredible times.

Frankie: I noticed that you use a fair share of digital coloring, is all your work done that way, if not what other mediums do work with?

Eyestone: Currently, 95% of my work is digital coloring, just because it saves time and it’s easier to fix mistakes. In the past, I did a lot of watercolor work, which I intend to bring back soon. The same goes for ink wash.

Frankie: Going along with the last question, are your outlines done in ink or are they done in pencil and then gone over digitally?

Eyestone: Up until a year or so ago, all of my work was inked by hand. Last year I took the plunge and got a Wacom, and it has been one of the best investments I’ve ever made. The majority of my stuff is inked digitally, now. I kind of miss having nice hand-drawn originals, though, and I intend to do a little more by hand.

Frankie: What has been your favorite project so far? What has been your favorite print that you've done?

Eyestone: My favorite project so far…is a 3-way tie. I always like my more recnt work, because I get better from project to project. I love the shirt I just did for Outbreak with a stressed-out dude who has an axe in his head and a huge wave of blood pouring out. The shirt was fun to draw, and Ryan from Outbreak had them printed up as a HUGE chest-print. Next, I just did a design for The Carrier that came out identically to how I saw it in my head before I even laid pencil to paper, and I’m really proud of it. Last, I really love how the artwork I did for the recent SparkstheRescue EP came out. Easily some of my most polished work. That Sparks piece is also my favorite print…I’ve already sold out of the first batch, and am planning on printing up a second run with some special packaging within the next few weeks.


Frankie: Is there any certain thing you wont draw up, or have you gotten any really ridiculous requests before?

Eyestone: If an idea is stupid, I won’t do it. Same goes for if I know drawing it is going to be boring. If I’m not enjoying a job, it shows in my work. I’ve rejected a few jobs before, both because the ideas were really lame and because I didn’t feel that the potential client took themselves seriously.

Frankie: I know that when I paint or draw I listen to lots of music, does the same go for you? What bands/music really get your creative brain waves going?

Eyestone: I like to work to anything that I can’t get sick of…this week I’ve been jamming Mind Eraser, the new Pig Destroyer, the Hated, the Fountain soundtrack, the Hold Steady, Explosions in the Sky and The Carrier.

Frankie: You graduated from Umaine last year right? What was your major, and do you plan on going right into a career with that or do you see yourself sticking more to the illustration work you've been doing?

Eyestone: I went to school for New Media. That was a huge mistake. I should have gone for Studio Art. The New Media Major is the closest thing Orono has to a Graphic Design program, but it doesn’t cater to artists at all. I could give two shits about New Media Art or Web Design right now. I didn’t learn anything in school that I couldn’t have learned on my own and honed my skills on things that actually applied to me.

Frankie: Are we going to see any new prints from you in the near future or are you putting more time into other things?

Eyestone: I’m planning a second Triptych for the end of summer, but with a larger-scale format and all-new art. I also want to get started on a graphic-novel treatment, but I’m not sure when that will get rolling, as I’m currently swamped with jobs.


Frankie: Thanks for answering my questions, any final words(before you take to the Random Question Hot Seat!)?

Eyestone: Stay positive. All of the good things in hardcore today have nothing to do with “the scene”. Support your local bands and artists.

Frankie: And now For the RANDOM QUESTION HOT SEAT!(insert booming announcer voice here...) 1.Coffee or Tea?

Eyestone: TEA

Frankie: 2.Are you a vegetarian?

Eyestone: I was until I was 7, but now, NO

Frankie: 3.Ipods...for or against?

Eyestone: FOR

Frankie: 4.Jet Li or Jackie Chan?

Eyestone: JACKIE CHAN…he just wants to make you laugh

Frankie: 5.Last show you went to?

Eyestone: Outbreak/Wake Up Call Tour Kickoff

Frankie: 6.Favorite food?

Eyestone: Longhorn Steakhouse. The whole menu.

Frankie: 7.Favorite holiday?

Eyestone: Christmas.

Frankie: 8.Have you ever gotten a paper cut on you tongue from licking the envelope?

Eyestone: No, but I chipped my front tooth opening a shirt-mailer bag from ebay.

Frankie: 9.Do you find babies cute or appauling?

Eyestone: Cute. What the fuck.

Frankie: 10.Zombies or Vampires?

Eyestone: Zombies, so far.

No comments: